Vaginal Intraepithelial Neoplasia, also known as VAIN, is a condition that causes pre-cancerous changes in the cells of the vaginal tissue.
Women over age 50 are at the highest risk for VAIN, but the condition can develop in women of any age.
- VAIN 1: One-third of the depth of the surface layer is affected
- VAIN 2: Two-thirds of the depth of the surface layer is affected
- VAIN 3: The entire surface layer is affected
Causes of VAIN:
- HPV: human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Immunosuppression: Smoking, Genetic disorders of the immune system.
- Colposcopy & Biopsy
- Pap smear
VAIN Treatment Options
- Observation unless advance development
- Carbon dioxide laser treatment
- Diathermy treatment
- Internal Radiotherapy
Surgery: Local excision, Partial or total vaginectomy
You will need to schedule routine follow-up exams with your gynecologist.