Sleep Pattern Disorders Following Menopause
Hot flashes and night sweats can interrupt sleep and at least 3 out of every 4 menopausal women will experience hot flashes, and over half of postmenopausal women face sleep disorders.
Medical Treatments for menopausal insomnia
- HRT: patch,cream or pill format with associated risks under supervision.
- Antidepressants that help: Effexor/Paxil/Prozac and Lexapro
- Non Hormonal treatment of Hot flashes: Brisdelle (fluoxetine)
Over the counter Aids & Tips
- Melatonin: decreases with advancing age and has less production in bright light.
- Keep your bedroom cool at night.
- Avoid exercise before bed.
- Avoid spicy food at nights.
- Avoid caffeine at late hours.
- Avoid mid day napping.
- Keep routine bedtime schedules.