Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS)is a disorder of the female endocrine system with varying degrees of presentations.
Many (poly) cysts or fluid-filled structures within the ovaries with varying degree of excess androgen production and frequent anovulation.
Women with PCOS typically experience:
- Oily skin & hirsutism(excess hair growth)
- Irregular and fewer periods
- Central obesity and metabolic disorders
Risks if untreated are:
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Endometrial hyperplasia
- Treating Polycystic Ovary Syndrome:
- Weight loss and PCOS Diets
- Oral contraceptives
- Insulin-sensitizing drugs such as Glucophage