Genetic Testing for Cancer
The personal risk for some hereditary cancers can be determined by genetic testing.
Genetic Testing: BRCA1 or BRCA2
- 7% of breast cancers.
- 10-15% of ovarian cancers.
- Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer (HBOC) Syndrome, an 87% chance of developing breast cancer, and a 63% chance of developing ovarian cancer by age 70.
- Lynch syndrome is also associated with a higher risk for developing ovarian, stomach, pancreatic, renal, urinary tract, biliary tract, small bowel, and brain cancers.
- Recommended options include:
- Frequent checkups
- Cancer risk-reducing alterations
- Surgical removal of the affected tissue-prophylactic mastectomy or oophorectomy